The Social Security System or SSS provides wage replacement income for members who cannot work due to sickness or injury through the Sickness Benefit program. To receive compensation, qualified SSS members need to file the Sickness Benefit Reimbursement Application form.
Here is a guide on how to properly accomplish and submit the SSS sickness benefit form for employed members, including requirements, processing time, and how to check the status online.
To qualify for sickness benefits from SSS, you must meet certain requirements as a registered member. More details on SSS sickness coverage can be found on their list of covered sicknesses.
- You must have paid at least 3 monthly SSS contributions within the 12-month period before you got sick or injured. This qualifies you for a sickness benefit duration equal to your number of contributions, up to a maximum of 120 days.
- You must submit the SSS sickness benefit application form not later than 45 days from the date you got sick or injured.
- Your illness must not be work-related, as work injuries are covered separately by SSS through sickness benefits for pensioners.
- You must provide proper documentation like medical certificates to prove your sickness.
How to File for SSS Sickness Benefit?
- Get a copy of the Sickness Benefit Reimbursement Application form. This is available online (download the form below) or in SSS branches.
- Bring the accomplished form to your attending physician and have them fill out the necessary medical details and certify your sickness.
- Prepare supporting documents such as medical certificates, lab exam results, and prescription receipts.
- Submit the completed SSS sickness benefit application form along with supporting docs to any SSS branch or through My.SSS if you are filing online.
- Keep the receipt and save the reference number for tracking your sickness benefit claim.
- Attach the SSS Sickness Notification form to the Sickness Benefit Reimbursement Application: Once you have filled out the form, please attach it to your Sickness Benefit Reimbursement Application.
SSS Sickness Benefit Reimbursement Application Form
Requirements for Self-Employed, Voluntary, and Separated Members
The guidelines are mostly similar when filing the SSS sickness benefit requirements for self-employed members and other member types.
The main difference is that self-employed, voluntary, and separated members must submit proof of their income.
- Self-employed members must submit an audited income tax return or financial statements.
- Voluntary members must submit proof of paying the applicable minimum contributions.
- For separated members, you must continue paying monthly contributions directly to SSS as a self-employed or voluntary member.
Processing Time for SSS Sickness Benefit
After filing for sickness benefits at SSS, you can expect your application to be processed in this timeframe:
- Online applications via My.SSS are processed within 7-10 days from the date filed.
- Applications filed through SSS branches are processed within 21 days.
- Once approved, funds for sickness benefit reimbursement are credited within 5 days.
In total, it takes around 1 to 4 weeks to get your sickness benefit after applying at SSS.
Monitoring Your SSS Sickness Benefit Application
While waiting for your sickness benefit claim to be completed, you can check its status online through My.SSS using these steps:
- Register and log in to your My.SSS account on the SSS website.
- Under the Sickness Benefit page, click on “Monitoring of Claims”
- Input your Sickness Benefit Application No. which serves as the reference number.
- This will display details on the status like the date filed, processed date, and if approved, the benefit amount and release date.
Monitoring online allows you to efficiently follow up on your sickness benefit claim with SSS. Knowing the status promptly can help ensure you meet any lacking requirements so your benefit claim can be completed.
Filing the SSS sickness benefit form is necessary to receive wage replacement income when you are unable to work due to illness or injury.
Make sure you meet the eligibility terms, submit the requirements completely, and track your application status online for faster approval.
This can provide you with some financial aid and peace of mind as you take the time to fully recover.